Monday, February 04, 2008

Across the Universe

I had a meeting across the city last week and since I didn't really have anything better to do, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home. It was freezing so it was also an excuse to warn up my feet while I waited for a cab, but no one wants to hear about the weather.

I carefully selected my groceries, almost forgetting my exfoliating facial wash - the reason I had stopped in in the first place, and decided to resolve that shipping situation since I had a bit of time to kill as I waited for my cab.

My cab pulled up and this middle-aged woman scampered over to claim it and started putting her groceries in the trunk. I had been certain that this was in fact, my cab, and not hers, so I ambled over and asked the driver who had called for it. She looked a little enraged, but grudgingly gave up the cab when my suspicions were confirmed. I was on the phone at this point but the cab driver still tried to strike up a conversation with me. He had the gall to ask me if he was going the right way and for directions (uh, isn't that your job? And if you don't know, that's what the gps navigator in your car is for). I was on hold with PayPal for over 35 minutes and by that point I'd already been driven home and was checking the mail in the lobby of my building. Since there is no service in the elevator or the stairwell, I just decided to throw in the towel and try again in the morning.

Another hour or so on hold, part of it with Paypal, the rest with Karmaloop, the merchant in question, and my order is 'fixed' and apparently shipping later that day. It's Monday now, and the order still hasn't shipped - argh!

1 comment:

stephanie said...

I'd be screwed if a cab driver asked me for directions. I barely know where I am right now.