Friday, October 12, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name

I got a text last night from Facebook alerting me to the fact that some random had just friend-requested me. I didn't really recognize the name so I added them, fired up my computer to lurk their profile. The profile picture yielded no clues to this mystery friend's identity so I dug a little deeper. It was only then that I realized that I did in fact know this dude, I just always forget that we always refer to him by his nickname - and that I'm retarded.

The same thing happened to me earlier in the week when my friend Ashley started talking about hanging out with her friend Andrew and then I was all "Who the fuck is Andrew?!" "My boyfriend?" came her sunned response. "Right" I replied rather sheepishly.

It just reminds me of my high school friend Bev's exclamation during our commencement ceremony when they called our friend 'James' to the stage, except she'd only really know him as 'Jim'. When we clarified that Jim is short for James she thought about it for a minute then responded: "Weird, I always knew it was short for something but I just assumed is was Jimothy or something..."

4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

I do the same thing. I even call my soon-to-be ex-husband's family members the wrong name. How sad is that?

stephanie said...

Awesome.

Shandra said...

Hahaha, oh the poor kid who will ever be name Jimothy.

girl said...

oh lordy, I just joined facebook a few days ago & I'm so hooked! zombie-biting all my friends, hee!