Friday, January 12, 2007

Cold days call for warm pot roast

and skipping class of course.

Hooray for mid-winter cold snaps (of course in retrospect this is perfectly typical weather for non-climate change Alberta in January). Even when I lived on campus (or a 10 minute walk away for that matter) the temperature dropping below -20 C meant that I was staying in to catch up on my stories - Days of our Lives, The Bold & The Beautiful, and sometimes even Passions - and never my required reading.

I had breakfast plans with The Engineer this morning even though we're technically on a hiatus right now, but I blew them off at the last minute with barely an explanation and dodged his phone calls for awhile so that I could attempt to eke out a few extra glorious hours of sleep on my reclaimed day off.

Instead I sat around in my pajamas all day until The Pansy called and I went over to her place to make stew a pot roast and watch rented movies (celebrities - they're just like us!). We had also ordered a bunch of stuff online, which came today, but the order was completely wrong when she got it, luckily The Pansy is quite adept at obtaining RA numbers so our order should be rectified and in our hands in a week or two.

Because I had a craving for candy and I can't just eat brie on any old crackers, I ventured out once again to pick up some supplies only to be stuck in line behind a foreign couple that had no grasp on just how a debit card worked. As if that wasn't frustrating enough, the cashier also offered to sign them up for the supermarket's reward card, except she didn't have any cards left at her till so she had to search high and low for more cards, pausing briefly to catch up with the cashier operating the till next door.

What could have easily been a five minute grocery store jaunt was quickly turning into a 20 minutes of seething rage. At least I had a pot roast waiting for me when I got home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stuff like that only happens when you are really anxious to get back home.....

Maritza said...

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, gets between me and a pot roast!

Nicoel said...

heather - it's all good
csr - very true
maritza - somehow I believe it. I envision you with a carving knife in one hand and an oven mitt on the other.