Tuesday, July 29, 2008

On Interracial Dating

Kia wrote a post about the black man/white woman phenomenon in interracial dating and how her initial reaction upon seeing that pairing is usually 'extreme annoyance'. I should probably preface this by stating that I judge everyone, it's just how I am, I need to be able to categorize every single person I meet.

That being said, I cringe when it appears that one part of the couple is just in it for the status side of it. I'm well aware that this is not how every interracial relationship works, I have many friends that are in normal and healthy interracial couplings, and I certainly don't want to 'take one for the team' and start dating black men, so I'm in no position to judge - I'm just saying.

2 comments:

K said...

Hello miss nico. Kia here. If you don't mind me asking, why do you exclusively date white men? Is it because you were raised around white people and that's what you grew up with or because of something you have against non-white men? Just curious!

Nicoel said...

Mostly because I don't really know any black people. While I was raised by and around white people I don't really think that's it entirely. My Mom (who would kill me for saying this if she knew what a blog was) is a bit of a black fetishist, so that probably had more to do with my distaste for black men (we don't get along because we're very similar).

I guess you could say I have more an issue with older black men, but it may just be a generational thing...