Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Chortle

With a little time to kill last night after work, I made my way over the the big-box bookstore down the hall. I thought maybe I could pick up a couple of books on my reading list, but I wasn't in the mood to read what they had in stock so I made my way over to the Astrology section and read furtively glancing up with every passing person.

They made a general announcement over the loudspeaker about the store closing for the night. On my way out I stopped by the history section to check out a prospective book but I just wasn't in the mood for 'The Dirt on Clean' and I quickly scanned the best-sellers section, my eyes settled on Malcolm Gladwell's 'The Tipping Point' and made my way up to the front to pay. I stopped briefly at the yoga dvd's and grabbed the least annoying looking one.

The girl ringing me through beckoned me to follow her to another wicket and she looked a me, then my purchases, and again up at me, wondering aloud if the purchases were Christmas gifts - did she just stifle a giggle?

No, I plainly stated, you don't think I look like a yoga enthusiast I asked. I explained that I'd been meaning to pick up Gladwell's book for a long time briefly outlining the premised for the befuddled cashier who nodded along accordingly.

Now that dvd sits on my kitchen table, stripped of its protective wrapping, overturned so as to shield its title from passersby as I nurse my second cup of coffee this morning. I've already hit the gym, and showered today so maybe I'll tackle this tommorow.

3 comments:

Pandora Wilde said...

I'm on exercise strike til after New Years'. Bah humbug.

Michelle said...

I was watching Dancing with the Stars (I know...) tonight, and I made a vow to get in shape after seeing the dancer's bodies. I made the vow as I was eating. A lot.
Damn good intentions.

Anonymous said...

well shit.
i don't have to try yoga if you're going to do it. bwahahaha.

how about i tackle pilates and you do yoga?

;]